Monday, July 03, 2006

Bang bang.

I fired a gun for the first time in my life today. It wasn't as scary as I expected, my elbows quaked a little but it didn't kick as much as I thought it would. I fired one fifteen shot round into a target and managed to hit it a decent number of times, maybe five misses. I want to get my aim fairly reliable. I learned how to clean the gun too, a Glock 19, brand new and stiff.
I was nervous about the idea of it, touching it, having it around me. Philosophy contrasted gut feeling, but now that I've seen it all taken to bits I can feel as well as I think that it is just a tool, a piece of metal and plastic, made for an end that its user dictates. In the hands of smart, good, strong people there is nothing about it to fear.
I picked blackberries on the edge of fields, and missed the country and nature terribly. It has been so long since I was outside at night somewhere without lights. I miss the smells and tastes of the seasons passing.
I picked a dozen ticks off of myself and my boy when I got home, one thing I haven't missed, and washed the poison ivy off my skin.
Then I went to work. Not enough people were working and the ones who were there were not the best ones to close with. I didn't have watch on so I didn't prompt the office assoc. to do the right things at the right times to get us out of there on time. No body walked the store to put things up and look for out of place items, they ended up keeping the stockers late so they could do it. And when it was down to me and one other cashier she left her register and stood around while I checked out the last customers and tried to clean up the front as well. When I asked her to clean off the registers for me since I was still working my register she wiped a little at the one in front of me and then left and I had to completely wash down her register and the reemaining ones and empty all of the trash. Very few people at my store actually do there work and make an effort to have some teamwork. Maybe two or three in each position, a few cashiers, a few office people, a few baggers, and a few managers.
Hell, I know none of us get paid much for the shit we have to do, but that doesn't mean you can't have a little self-respect and care about your coworkers.
Anyway, I'm home now. But I have to work tomorrow, so boo. I have to finish my chores tonight, but I'm gonna goof off a little first.
Play some WoW, rehydrate my body from this hot day, fall asleep on my keyboard.
Sweet dreams internet land.
M

No comments: