Friday, February 17, 2006

The First Dream I've Remembered In Months

Just before I woke this morning I had a dream. One that I felt I had had before as a child. It was probably different then, my character was probably a child, it was probably set in the house I lived in then, but when I woke I was convinced I had dreamed it before long ago. I dreamed I came into a room, which was mine but I was not simply myself, and found my comrades around a great many tanks of snakes. My snakes. There were dozens of them, some I recongnized as real species, some patched together from reality. The lids of their tanks were all ajar and they were crawling around, some visiting other species some moving away from the table and bed they were on. I started trying to put them back and chastizing my comrades for releasing them. They gave an odd defense, I don't quite remember, the snakes had needed exercise, or asked, or something. The snakes almost spoke to me, but they made no noise. They were confused and trying to find their ways back to their homes. I put them back and as I was collecting the last someone burst into the room and opened fire on us with a machine gun. I hit the floor and watched as some of my comrads did the same, or fired back. I tried to protect the snakes and myself, some of my comrads fell doing the same. I pulled a lid to one of the tanks in front of me, knowing that the bullets couldn't pierce it. The woman firing at us focused on me and I moved the lid to block her as I crawled towards her. When she turned to fire away from me again I rose and struck her with my cover in the gut. She swung her gun towards me but didn't raise it. I struck her again on the shoulder and brought her to her knees. She looked at me and asked me why I had been able to defeat her when she had felled many of the expert agents I worked with. I responded that I was not an agent and raised my odd, light weapon to underneath her chin.
When I woke, I believed I had dreamed it before. I also realised how odd it was, almost campy. A hero weilding a plastic lid, who stops a slaughtering with a single blow? The snakes and blood and sounds, and the way my pulse was racing from the reality of it, were the only things to keep me from laughing my ass off at it.

No comments: