Thursday, March 02, 2006

Yet Another Long Day

I got up at 6:30 this morning, that coming off of tenish the past few days. I should say I dragged myself *out* of bed at that time I was in and out of sleep since a quarter past six and waited til I absolutely had to get up and get ready for work. I even managed to get in exactly on time, and wait five minutes for the manager to get there. I had a horrible hacking cough all day at work, I couldn't raise my voice loud enough to get people's attention or communicate with the deaf little old ladies. When I left they were undermanned, but I couldn't stay much longer then I was scheduled for. I only stayed fifteen minutes past when I was supposed to leave. I came home and thought really hard about what I had to do and what order I should do things in. I fell asleep sitting up reading my email and crawled in to bed for a nap. I set myself a fourty minute timer at around 3:40 and then slept fitfully til 5:00. I kept waking myself up coughing and asking myself how much time I needed to do things and which ones were most important. My body held final say by dropping me back into sleep just as I would decide to get up. When I finally did get up I took some medicine, started some laundry, and hastily edited and submited the paper I had due today before getting ready to go to my folks. By the time I called them and got myself cleaned up and out the door it was after six. I got there and hung out a little, had some of my dad's spectacular pizza and headed off the women's sohbet with my stepmom. I tried not to hug anyone too tight so I wouldn't spread as many germs and I couldn't sing because of my throat. But everyone was as sweet as always and I sang for my favorite illahi even though it hurt. It's funny, I'm not a religious person at all, in fact I have a certain bitterness about religious people piling their crap on me, but these folks never do that to me. They are very kind, they never pressure me about anything, and the things they say about their feelings and spirituality actually border on making sense. I have a sufi name and they all love me dearly, I sing with them and wrap myself in the blanket of their affection and extend the same to them, but I never have to worry about confusing that with sharing their beliefs because they never ask that of me. They ask me to come, they say they want to see more of me, they ask how I am, but they don't ask anything I am unwilling to give.
Anyways, I stayed out too late and my cough was building on me, my stepmom and I finally said our farewells at half til midnight and I got home at a quarter til one. And now I'm going to bring my dogs in and load up on blue-green cough medicine before crawling back into bed til I-don't-care-when tomorrow. Sweet dreams.
M

No comments: